Ever wondered what inspires the jelly talent? What drives them? What a typical day is like? We went behind the scenes with illustrator Mimi Leung to find out just how she creates her crazy and colourful work.
1. Tell us how it all started.
Unhealthy liking for cartoons, strange compulsion to draw motorbikes, lots of Dragon Ball.
2. What’s a typical day like for you? How do you come up with all your new concepts?
Dreaming, thinking, reading, reflecting. and the Internet. .. and snacks and being silly with my dog. Mostly being silly with my dog.
3. What do you love most about your job?
Researching each brief & finding visual references and random facts. Thinking of ways to show the message, tone, brand. The subliminal stuff. Editing out all the crap but allowing for excess and exuberance.
4. What is the most challenging part?
5. You’ve got an impressive portfolio, tell us a little about what it was like to work for such super clients.
I like testing and expanding my skills within the limits of each brief.
6. We know picking a favourite piece is like picking a favourite child, so how are your projects special to you in their own way?
Each piece takes me back to memories of where I was when I made it and what else was going on in my life at that time. As well as answering a brief, from a personal perspective, they are visual records of my own life too. (although I do admit to having found a few pieces that made me think "What?? When the hell did I do that??")
7. What do you think will be the next big thing (trend) in illustration?
8. What does illustration do that other mediums can’t?
YOU CAN VERY SIMPLY DO ANYTHING WITH IT. IT IS AMAZING.
9. What would be your perfect brief or dream client?
I want to do something for Nicki Minaj. Or Rihanna now that she is creative director at Puma. Hello RihRih! You're obvs reading this right now so just hit me up babe ;)
10. What do you have planned for 2015?
I plan to forge ahead with my dream project. It is in early stages, less early than before. .., but still pretty tentative. I plan to pay more attention to coaxing it into being.
11. What’s your favourite snack whilst working?
Mint Pocky. I could eat it ALL.
12. What’s your favourite music to work to?
Nicki Minaj X Grimes X Slayer
13. What’s your favourite decade and why?
2020s - no time like the future
14. Describe yourself in 3 words.
Lust for Life
15. Tell us something about yourself that we didn’t already know.
I am scared of snails.
What do you want to hear in the next Behind The Scenes interview?
Tweet us @jellyLondon